Sunday, December 28, 2008

theme parties

Tuesday night, I dee-jayed a sweet 16 birthday party with an eighties theme. The outfits were amazing.....straight outta 1985! They wanted mostly current top 40/hip hop music but with a few 80's classics mixed in every few songs or so. Honestly, I was shocked at how well most of the eighties tunes went over with this group - these kids were not even born until 1992 (yikes! that makes me feel so old!). Thinking about it more, I realize that it went over so well because all the attendees knew in advance about the 80s theme and therefore expected to hear plenty of eighties music.

Platinum Mix specializes in customizing play lists for all of our clients, and I think its totally awesome when our clients come to us with unique ideas for the music for their weddings & parties. Believe me, I get totally sick of hearing the same "wedding music" over and over every weekend so getting the chance to play something different will always make me happy. BUT.....most times anytime I deviate from that classic/traditional party play list, it doesn't go over too well with the rest of the guests. They are just confused as to why I am NOT playing "The Cha-Cha Slide" and instead have been playing some random indie rock song that nobody is dancing too. However, I have had different and unique music selections go over well when either 1) the bride & groom (or hosting guest) are out there all night dancing to their requests and make their friends dance with them OR 2) all the guests know in advance that the music will be different, fit into a "theme", or is selected by somebody other than the hired dj. (like in the case above of the 16-year-olds actually dancing to eighties music rather than screaming at me to play Lil Wayne).

One of the most memorable & fun parties I have ever worked, was a 40th surprise birthday party with a disco/funk theme....i dug up the video and posted it for anybody planning a theme party and looking for a few ideas::

No comments: