Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The only thing I don’t like about being a DJ is not being able to call in sick to work. I’m always jealous of my friends who say stuff like “I didn’t feel that great this morning so I called in to work”. But being a DJ, it’s not quite that easy. Regardless of how I feel the show must go on. So this weekend was really rough for me. It was one of the busiest weekends we had all year and I woke up on Friday morning with that scratchy feeling in my throat. I overdosed on Vitamin C, took some sore throat medication and dressed warm to prepare for the wedding of Donella & Kyle which was scheduled at the Earhart Manor in Ann Arbor – outside in a tent. The wedding was beautiful, and this tent was really nice. They had even rented heaters that warmed up the tent when the sun went down and the temperature dropped. Jennifer House at “A Moment In Time” did an awesome job decorating and coordinating the wedding. I’m sure she was a big help to Donella who was planning from Chicago. My sickness held off and I had a great time spinning their requested play list of all 50’s and 60’s music. I also thought the instant photo booth they rented was totally cool.
Not sure why, but Saturday, October 7th was probably one of the busiest days of the year. And not just for Platinum Mix, all of our friendly DJ competitors also reported a very busy day. Maybe because it seems like every high school in the area wanted to have their Homecoming dance on this day, plus being a Saturday in early October, that’s still wedding season. So we had our hands full managing all of those Homecoming Dances and weddings! I worked a Homecoming Dance for Walled Lake that night. 1400 students! Wow! Fun! I love big dances. Big sound systems. Big light shows. Love it! I had a blast, but just want to say thank god for the Platinum Mix back-up DJ system. About halfway through the dance I totally lost my voice. The combination of being sick and my sore throat kicking in, plus trying to take requests from students (which means screaming over a sound system kicking out the bass for 1400 attendees), I guess my voice just couldn’t hold up for me anymore. But Paul Mattis was the scheduled back-up guy and after he had checked in all of our other DJs, he was headed out to help me at my dance anyway. Thank god, because he ended up MCing the 2nd half of the dance and was a huge help tearing down at the end of the night when I really thought I might just pass out.

When Paul saw the awful shape I was in Saturday night, he offered to come out and help me with the wedding I had scheduled for Sunday too. Paul ended up doing pretty much everything. We were at Weller’s in Saline for Heather and Christian’s wedding. Weller’s is an absolutely gorgeous place to have a wedding. They have the perfect spot for an outdoor ceremony, a dinner room, an area outside for dancing and tons of places to take pictures. It’s a tough place to dj though because of all the different areas. We set-up one sound system for the ceremony to play music while they walked down the aisle plus supplied the minister with a microphone so all the guests could hear everything, another sound system was set-up in the Carriage House for dinner music, introductions of the bridal party and toasts and then a third sound system outside in the gazebo for dancing. Heather and Christian’s family were a lot of fun and the wedding went great. It was great to work with “A Pair of Photographers” again too. Leslie is still the only photographer I’ve ever worked with 2 days in a row.

Paul – Thank you, thank you, thank you soooooo much for bailing me out this weekend! Your speakers worked out great at homecoming and I really don’t know what I would have done without you on Sunday.

No comments: